|Con Edison Ready for Heavy Rain, High Winds
Con Edison is closely monitoring the weather, with high winds and heavy rain arriving today, posing a danger through Friday.
Since trees are in full canopy, water-logged branches that come down on electric lines due to gusting winds will be heavy, possibly resulting in outages. Extra crews will be available to repair any downed wires.
Customers can report downed power lines, outages, and check service restoration status at www.ConEd.com or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633).
When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power. Customers who report outages will be called by Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become available.
Con Edison offers the following storm tips to customers to help weather the possible effects of a storm:
- If you see downed electrical wires, do not go near them. Treat all downed wires as if they are live. Never attempt to move them or touch them with any object. Be mindful that downed wires can be hidden from view by tree limbs, debris, leaves or water.
- Report all downed wires to Con Edison and your local police department immediately. If a power line falls on your car while you’re in it, stay inside the vehicle and wait for emergency personnel.
- If your power goes out, disconnect or turn off appliances that would otherwise turn on automatically when service is restored. If several appliances start up at once, the electric circuits may overload.
- Check to make sure your flashlights and any battery-operated radios or televisions are in working order. Make sure you have a supply of extra batteries. Weather updates and news on restorations of electrical service can be heard on most local radio and television stations.
- For more storm tips and preparation, go to www.ConEd.com